Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

alexis

wait, i’m confused… I read the books really fast, but I still re-read them? Uh whatever, these slots are to general.

Posted by alexis on October 24, 2008, 01:39 AM report to moderator
alexis

I wonder if he has even read them……

Posted by alexis on October 24, 2008, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Unnursvana

Lily Phoenix I totally agree with you. I am a little bit of both I think but I am a Ravenclaw but I am split between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw so I guess I am a Hufflecalw?

But I think that I will never look back and say “Why did we ever read this stuff?’” NEVER

Posted by Unnursvana on October 24, 2008, 02:16 PM report to moderator
dumbyforth

Iam a GRYFFINPUFF!!!

Posted by dumbyforth on October 24, 2008, 04:25 PM report to moderator
tierahmisu

oh come on! at least we know that it’s all those silly Gryffindors who are going on reading Twilight and fluff like that :p

but, i’m a slytherin, and i’ve read the books so many times, and i’m super loyal to the series… bah, you can’t define people by only 4 groups and expect everyone to fit, lol…

Posted by tierahmisu on October 24, 2008, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Nymie

I am totally a hufflepuff reader!
I reread the books all the time, am obsessed with the books, and totally love them.
I also write fanfictions, so…

Posted by Nymie on October 24, 2008, 11:48 PM report to moderator
Iolanthe

I, too, am a Gryffinpuff (or Huffledor!) because I devour the books in one sitting, but love to reread them. I have also moved on to other things, only because I love reading, not because Harry Potter is boring, or out of date or anything else!

However, I am definitely not Ravenrin or Slytheclaw!

Posted by Iolanthe on October 24, 2008, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Iolanthe

And I have read the Twilight books and loved them, and the Alanna books (all of Tamora Pierce’s books, actually!) and Lord of the Rings, and a myriad of others, but I am currently rereading Harry from beginning to end!

Posted by Iolanthe on October 25, 2008, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Ginny

Prof. Brown is wrong on two points at least. One, I’m like the others, a “Huffledor.” Also I would just like to say that I would like to join the bet against Prof. Brown that Harry Potter doesn’t have “staying power!” I agree that it would be like stealing.

Posted by Ginny on October 25, 2008, 01:22 AM report to moderator
loooney

I’m a Ravendor or a Gryffinclaw(|-: It’s a very interesting report.

Posted by loooney on October 25, 2008, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Kezzabear

ROFLOL I am a Ravenclaw but then again I DO score almost equally as high in Hufflepuff on sorting sites. (I’m definitely Ravenclaw though, ask anyone who know me!) And so yeah that is right … onward to writing fanfic! :P

Posted by Kezzabear on October 25, 2008, 11:19 AM report to moderator
saoumitaa

I’m a Hufflepuff!!!!!!!!!!
I always knew that, my fav house is the Hufflepuff.
My fav hero is Cedric Diggory.
So HP, I Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by saoumitaa on October 25, 2008, 02:58 PM report to moderator
saoumitaa

yeah, yeah, sorry, I’m a Huffledor! Yes, that’s what I am! But Hufflepuff comes first!

Posted by saoumitaa on October 25, 2008, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Laurel x

Huffle-dor-claw!
Lol
A Hufflepuff based on that!
But also a Gryffidor cuz I like to know what happens and read them quickly!
But several online sites always say I’m a Ravenclaw!

Although, are Gryffindors really like what that Prof. says cuz look at Hermione always reading her books e.g Hogwarts: A History

Posted by Laurel x on October 25, 2008, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Martha

Well Hermione did say in OotP that the Sorting Hat almost put her into Ravenclaw and personally I think that’s where she should have gone. I mean obviously she’s just as brave as all the other Gryffindors, but her intelligence and love of learning are her defining characteristics and, therefore, I think Ravenclaw is her true house and that Rowling only put her in Gryffindor for plot convenience (I mean having the trio all be the same house and, therefore, the same classes). I mean the story would have had to be changed quite a bit if the trio were all in different houses (Hermione in Ravenclaw, Harry in Gryffindor, and Ron in Hufflepuff for example) even though those house choices would have been equally logical for them.

Posted by Martha on October 26, 2008, 02:29 AM report to moderator

"Do either of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad..."