Beedle the Bard Becomes UK Fastest-Selling Book of Year

Books
December 09, 2008, 04:36 PM

The Tales of Beedle the Bard have become the fastest-selling book of the year in UK. The Bookseller is reporting the new book by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling " shot straight to the top of the bestseller charts with sales of 368,000 copies in three days." The article noted that Beedle "comfortably became the fastest-selling book of the year, beating the likes of Delia Smith's How to Cheat at Cooking (Ebury), which sold 49,000 copies in 48 hours in February this year, Sebastian Faulks' Devil May Care (Penguin 007) which sold 44,000 copies in four days in June and Christopher Paolini's Brisingr (Doubleday) which sold 41,000 copies in 24 hours in September."

A rep for the Bookseller is also quoted elsewhere as saying: "None of the other big releases managed to get near the sales figure for Beedle the Bard. I would be very surprised if it is not Christmas number one, but it's not a dead cert." The rep also said he felt "reports of Rowling's imminent demise in the book world were greatly exaggerated. "I think that this time next year retailers and publishers will be wanting Rowling to have picked up her pen again," he said.

While this has been a strong seller so far, there is not much in the way of new information specifically about Harry and Co, as noted in the Washington Post by TLC's webmistress. "There are no new secrets to get your hands on," says Melissa Anelli, author of Harry, a History. "So there won't be quite the hysteria that there was" with the novels.

The article continues to note that there are still fans out there who are hoping there will be more from the world of Harry Potter.

"Heidi Tandy, the Miami Beach, Fla., founder of Potter fan site fictionalley.org, hadn't allowed herself to read the epilogue of Deathly Hallows until Wednesday. As in, the Wednesday before Thursday's release of Beedle."As long as I didn't read the epilogue, I wasn't done reading her story," Tandy explains. Thursday's release finally freed her to finish Hallows; now she'll choose a new Beedle story not to read, until Rowling comes out with another installment. The rest of the book she'll read with her son, who is named Harry.

The Beedle release proves that we will never truly be over Harry.

"We can't help thinking, 'One day, she might get the urge,' " Anelli says. "She just might write another book."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Hagiographer13

LOL — I just sent this tip to Leaky!

Congrats Jo and yay for charity books!

Posted by Hagiographer13 on December 09, 2008, 04:41 PM report to moderator
lily_luna

What if Jo never comes out with another book? She’’ll never know the contents of that one story!

Posted by lily_luna on December 09, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
Jordan

YAY it beat Breaking Dawn!!

Posted by Jordan on December 09, 2008, 05:15 PM report to moderator
emmy

Go Jo :)

Posted by emmy on December 09, 2008, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Peka

I loved it. JK rocks!

Posted by Peka on December 09, 2008, 05:26 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

Was there ever any doubt?

On a somewhat related note, I wonder how quickly Harry, A History sold – while not an official HP book, it’s pretty close, and from the sound of it lots of people (like me) were picking one up right away.

Posted by hpboy13 on December 09, 2008, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Moody One

I hope it keeps selling! More money for the kids. : ) I just got both my copy’s today. The collectors edition is absolutely beautiful.

Posted by Moody One on December 09, 2008, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Lucky Girl!

I just got my copy’s of Beedle today. Amazon accidentally sent me 2 Collectors Editions! OMG How lucky am I. Before everybody gets mad at me. I sent Amazon an email and told them all about it. I’m sending it back tomorrow.

Posted by Lucky Girl! on December 09, 2008, 07:26 PM report to moderator
H

Was there ever any doubt that we wanted her to keep writing? I just finished freaking out over my collector’s edition, its beautiful and worth every penny.

Posted by H on December 09, 2008, 07:36 PM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

I root for Hogwarts a History with annotations by Dumbledore.. and corrections by Hermione

Posted by Amy Darlene on December 09, 2008, 07:48 PM report to moderator
Martha

How completely shocking! LOL! Just kidding. Was there ever any doubt BtB would be a bestseller?

Posted by Martha on December 09, 2008, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Eva Hedwig

I was sure Beedle would sell well. Now I am ready for another wizards book. Maybe the E-Book ? Maybe another one with wizards fairy tell from the other wizards country where are schools ? France ? Northern Europe ?

Posted by Eva Hedwig on December 09, 2008, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Hedwig

Congratulations Jo!!!!! and it’s only in U.K!!! And for Twilight… MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA……TAKE THAT…..now which one is the best…. “wannabe’s”…. MWAHAHAHAHAHA, and it’s not even a “Harry Potter” book…… BD- more days and less sells….. even guiness book first. CONGRATULATIONS JO !!!!!! You are the BEST !!!!!!

Posted by Hedwig on December 09, 2008, 08:18 PM report to moderator
anotherweasley

Any word on US sale numbers?

Posted by anotherweasley on December 09, 2008, 08:26 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

Another hit for J.K.Rowling!!!! Yes.Potters back!!

Posted by Crown Victoria on December 09, 2008, 08:26 PM report to moderator

"Nagini," said the cold voice, "you are out of luck. I will not be feeding Wormtail to you, after all... but never mind, never mind... there is still Harry Potter..."[br]The snake hissed. Harry could see its tongue fluttering.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014