Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

Yes! Now all I need is for my red headed fiance to agree to seven kids and I have achieved my Weasley dreams.

Posted by jenbabe705 on May 09, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

whaaaat. that’s..a little odd. neat. but odd.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on May 09, 2009, 09:43 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Microsoft did this? I would never have guessed. Now if they could only apply some of that ingenuity to VISTA.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on May 09, 2009, 09:44 PM report to moderator
Picture4_052_thumb

I wonder if they’ll ever admit they got the idea from HP?

Posted by joelface on May 09, 2009, 09:50 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

that would be so cool, i am like speechless right now!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on May 09, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Avatar_3_thumb

wow, so cool! I can’t believe that they actually came up with this!

Posted by Lavendergirl ~WBM~ on May 09, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Lothlorien_thumb

I want to know how they are going to incorporate the “Mortal Peril” alert into the clock? That’s the one I’d deem most important! “Mom, come get me, I’m in trooouuuble!” ;o)

Posted by Zhandarq on May 09, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

Cool!

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on May 09, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb
want. one. now.
Posted by GF_of_Seamus on May 09, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

I need one like that~

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on May 09, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

if only we could buy them huh!

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on May 09, 2009, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

Interesting idea but I don’t know if I would like a real one. I mean it would be great to know where your loved ones were at all times yet you might feel invaded. Like ErinM said, it would be great for parents and their kids but as an adult, no. But how will it work? Are you going to have to have a computer chip embedded into your skin?

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on May 09, 2009, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-voldemort-thumb_normal_thumb

I WANT THIS.

Posted by LoSushi! [[ ROAR ]] on May 09, 2009, 10:35 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Cool idea, i’d love a weasley clock…but it scares me a litte bit invasive haha

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on May 09, 2009, 10:40 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Cool idea, i’d love a weasley clock…but it scares me a litte bit invasive haha

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on May 09, 2009, 10:40 PM report to moderator

At the foot of the first set of stairs, they spotted Mrs. Norris skulking near the top.[br] "Oh, let's kick her, just this once," Ron whispered in Harry's ear.