Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

10312009016-002_thumb

I just hope they don’t make it look like Harry fighting back then he falters. He didn’t fail, he gave his life to save everyone else like what Lily Potter did for him when he was a baby.

Posted by sakuranbo07 on July 16, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Img_0645_thumb

120 pages for each script doesn’t actually work out to 120 minutes.

I’ve done some screenwriting, and while the rule of thumb is “one minute per page,” in actuality a 2 hour movie that has a fair bit of action (as Harry Potter does) will end up being around 100 pages.

A 120 page script for this type of movie is just about right: about 2 hours and 20-30 minutes.

Based off what Heyman said, I think it’s pretty much set in stone that movie 1 ends during Malfoy Manor.

Which leaves Shell cottage, Gringotts, and Hogwarts as the three big sections. That’s perfect.

I would imagine the break-in at Gringotts to start at about an hour into the movie. At about 1:30 the trio arrives at the Hogs Head. At about 2:00 Harry dies. At 2:20 Voldy dies. At 2:30…standing ovation.

Posted by big_pale on July 16, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

great interview- though the comments about changing harry’s “fighting back” makes me a little nervous… as long as it stays true to the essence- i understand the need to change things for cinematic reasons (because cinematic story telling is soo different that book story telling) but i’m just not quite sure what he means be that- like, i hope it doesn’t mean we aren’t going to get a shot of hagrid carrying a supposedly dead harry and such. or that any moments are taken away from say, neville. of course, i can’t really remember the whole specifics on the ending right now… but i trust that they will do the story justice.

Posted by Rinny on July 16, 2009, 10:37 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

thank god that scene will be longer…but will 30 mins really be enough to fit everything in? i guess we’ll have to see how it;s filmed, but i definitely loved the sixth one and hope that the seventh will be filmed with the same colouring scheme and the slowness aspect to it .

Posted by DesQueJteVois on July 16, 2009, 10:41 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

oh- or i didn’t even think about it changing harry’s actions before his ‘rebirth’ since he brought up the rebirth thing in the interview- but that would be awful, if it wasn’t clear that harry was sacrificing himself- because that is the whole point! surely that won’t happen, because at that point in the story, harry knows he has to die, and voldemort can’t die until harry is killed. i think surely he means harry’s actions after his ‘rebirth’- which again, i’m not quite sure what that would entail exactly…

Posted by Rinny on July 16, 2009, 10:45 PM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

hmm…Harry fighting back?? I don’t think so! If they ruin DH (part 2 especially) I will be extremely angry! I am very excited for the battle and also for Prince’s tale. The movie better make me cry or I wont be satisfied lol.

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on July 16, 2009, 10:45 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

As long as we get, say, thirty minutes for the Prince’s Tale, I’m good… LOL

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 16, 2009, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Posted by siriuslyamanda on July 16, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I don’t know… I want more specific information. Thirty minutes sounds good, but at the same time it seems too short? And what does “more engagement in our version of the final battle” mean?! What?!

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 10:56 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh, and he says they get to Hogwarts early on? … Hmm. Just makes me wonder where the split is then.

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 10:57 PM report to moderator
A8e7634a3ee432be_thumb

Ultimate Collector’s DVD? Where do I find info on that, gotta know. Sounds like the next two movies are going to be really good if there’s a 30 minute battle. Hopefully, the next two films will make up for the action that was missing in HBP.

Posted by Halloween Master on July 16, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator
Cadoyp57_thumb

Greedo shoots first lol

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on July 16, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

Maybe he means Harry fighting before he goes to the forest—fighting maybe alongside the twins, ron, Hermione, Ginny and others. There’s no reason he can’t fight at the beginning of the battle. But I agree, no way can they change him willingly going to his death in order to save the others and ultimately defeat Voldemort. They can’t possibly mean to alter Jo’s whole purpose.

Posted by izziewitch on July 16, 2009, 11:00 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Sorry for another post but this interivew just makes me confused. I just hope to God they don’t ruin the last movie, I am so serious. 2 1/2 hours seems too short now. I want a 3 1/2 hour move – more if possible. And I agree with tina_als_girl, I hope the Prince’s tale is good and long because there was a whole chapter dedicated to that! I don’t want montages and short little clips and glimpses. Gosh I just hope they do DH justice. I’m starting to get scared…

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 11:00 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Wow 30 mins of battle sounds very fascinating

Posted by blackhair on July 16, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator

"Are you threatening me, sir?" he said, so loudly that passersby actually turned to stare.[br]"Yes, I am," said Mad-Eye, who seemed rather pleased that Uncle Vernon had grasped this fact so quickly.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014