Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Img_0645_thumb

…on the other hand. Let’s work backwards, assuming we’re talking about 2 1/2 hours.

The last 5 minutes will be the epilogue.
Before that we’ll have 15 minutes of Harry talking to Dumbledore and killing Voldy.
Before that we’ll have 40 minutes of destroying the other Horcruxes, the princes tale, and Harry getting killed.
Before that we’ll have 10 minutes of talking to Aberforth

That right there is an hour and 10 minutes.

Let’s say there’s 20 minutes of the gringotts break-in.
And then 30 minutes at Shell Cottage

There’s 2 hours right there.

And then just give 20-30 minutes for all of Malfoy Manor.

And there’s you’re movie. 2 hours and 20-30 minutes.

Which means the “To Be Continued…” from movie 1 would occur probably with Harry saying Voldemort’s name and the lights going out, and the trio being caught.

Just a thought.

Posted by big_pale on July 17, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I think when he says 30 minutes. I think he means 30 minutes of actual fighting, but I dont think he’s including the scene when Harry walks into the forrest and talks to Dumbledore at the train station and The Prince’s tale and the part when Snape dies. When you take all of that into consideration I think the WHOLE battle will be about an hour.

But Part Two is going to be SOOO action-packed depending on where they split it. So much happens in that part of the book.

The Gringotts break-in. The flight on the Dragon. Apparating to Hogsmeade. Aberforth’s story. Neville coming out of the portrait. Harry going to the Ravenclaw common room. Harry watching Snape flee. Harry talking to the Grey Lady. Ron and Hermione kissing. The Fiendfyre scene in the Room of Requirement. The actual battle. Snape dying. Harry walking into the forrest. Harry talking to Dumbledore. Neville cutting the head off the snake. Harry’s fight with Voldemort.

Posted by cghambright on July 17, 2009, 12:40 AM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

I want 40 minutes

Posted by placebowiz on July 17, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Poa_conceptart_davidedwardbyrd_005_thumb

I’m sure that the harry fighting back has absolutely nothing to do with the sacrifice part during the meat of the battle Harry does have the snot beaten out of him he loses fred, lupin, tonks and believes to lose Hagrid in pretty quick succession. He is so defeated that he can’t make a patronus. Harry doesn’t really fight in the battle it is all about him trying to find Voldemort and stay alive with Hermione and Ron. He’ll be much more proactive in the fight and we might even see a Lupin and Tonks death scene.

Posted by LoonyTedLupin91 on July 17, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

I’m sorry, but their excuse for cutting the battle from HBP was that there was one in DH, which was total BS and unbelievably ridiculous, so all I know is that I better see one hell of a battle in DH! This interview makes me very nervous because DH is my favorite book so potentially changing/screwing up harry’s sacrifice and the battle being only 30min doesn’t make me all that pleased. I’ll wait until we get more specifics before I freak out, but he definitely needs to clarify both of these subjects before I start feeling good about their handling of DH.

Posted by bella vita on July 17, 2009, 01:01 AM report to moderator
Avatarrockthesoul057

I still wish they would make the last part rated “R” or at least have some unedited content when the DVD comes out for us major fans.

Posted by Britski on July 17, 2009, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Dsc01855_thumb

How long are all the other scripts?

Posted by jessh324 on July 17, 2009, 01:22 AM report to moderator

I think the first part ends with the funeral for Dobby and Harry’s choice to go after the Horcruxes, not the Hallows. That is a monumental decision for Harry in the book, and it sets up the 2nd part perfectly by presaging the break-in at Gringotts. There you get the sacrifice, the escape, and the resolve to finish what he started, just like 6th movie…

Posted by 8th Horcrux on July 17, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator

This news is so exciting!!! What’s cool is that I first heard this news and the Pottercast Tour Today!

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 17, 2009, 01:59 AM report to moderator
Egg_thumb

that’s awesome!! hope they don’t compromise on quality. it better be EPIC.

Posted by harrietPotter on July 17, 2009, 02:08 AM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Seriously, this keeps making me more and more nervous. Now I’m so paranoid that they’re going to change the bit about Harry sacrificing himself. If they do…………

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 17, 2009, 02:09 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

it’s true it will be hard to film that climatic ending— with Harry not fighting back but not being able to show what he’s thinking. I mean it won’t look as stupid as the last Twilight film will probably look, featuring Bella standing around doing nothing while everyone else fights, but it will still be hard.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 17, 2009, 02:27 AM report to moderator

30 minutes or more will be win for me

Posted by Veinic on July 17, 2009, 02:29 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

30 minutes? Cool!!!!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 17, 2009, 03:18 AM report to moderator

Its good to hear them planning all of this – it sounds awesome. I can’t wait. :)

Posted by heliotrope on July 17, 2009, 03:22 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't