Ian Rankin Says JK Rowling "Writing Family Trees" and Working on Scottish Book

J.K. Rowling
September 04, 2009, 02:41 PM

Author Ian Rankin has given a new interview on BBC radio with Simon Mayo (download here) where he mentions his friend and neighbor in Scotland, J.K. Rowling. In the middle of this interview, Mr. Rankin notes that while he has not seen the Harry Potter author in some time, he said she "was working on her Harry Potter encyclopedia" and "drawing family trees for all the characters, going back generations." This of course is not a surprise as Jo has said many times in the past that she is working again on various projects, as highlighted last year when she confirmed she was writing again in cafes, and has often expressed her desire to create the definitive encyclopedia of the beloved Harry Potter world.

Please note, as exciting as this is, we stress that it is important to release Mr. Rankin did not say or imply the Scottish book was to be released any time soon, again just noting he had seen her working on the book aka "The Scottish Book" as she first referred to the name during the interview with PotterCast in December, 2007.

Thanks to all who owled!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I-quote_ravenclaw0183_thumb

sweet!

Posted by LulubelleI {WBM} on September 04, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
119152761_thumb

YAY!!!!!!! As much as I hope it comes out soon, I don’t want Jo to rush it

Posted by butterbeer bottle on September 04, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Woo proud to be scottish. Thank god she made the family trees. It was just one of those things that needed to be there.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 04, 2009, 07:49 PM report to moderator
Have_you_seen_this_man_2_thumb

I can’t wait!

Posted by clashcityrocker13 on September 04, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator

I hope this book is so big it takes her years to finish!

Posted by jenbabe705 on September 04, 2009, 08:21 PM report to moderator
H-r_thumb

Yay, I’m glad she’s writing again. I can’t wait till the encyclopedia comes out and the Scottish book sounds interesting. Do we have any idea what it’s about?

Posted by fantasylover12001 on September 04, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Pic_20_2312ma14060069-0001_thumb

YAHOO!!!! So happy to hear this. I squeeled when I read it.I hope she takes a long time to write it too. And that it is a very long,big,fat,book,tee hee.Will take me months to read.Ok,well I can dream a little right?Hope it’s long.Well,at least we have one more of HP book wise,to look forward too left.Thank You Jo!

Posted by Dlcohm7 on September 04, 2009, 09:00 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

i hope it comes out soon!! a harry potter encyclopedia would be AWESOME!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on September 04, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

i hope it comes out soon!! a harry potter encyclopedia would be AWESOME!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on September 04, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

YYYYYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!
They better have midnight releases =)

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on September 04, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Woops. Sorry for the triple post. I get impatient xD

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on September 04, 2009, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Hp7_thumb

I can’t wait! I hope it comes out soon!

Posted by EJohnson1988 on September 04, 2009, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Chloekisses1_thumb

Squee!!!!!!!! This is fantastic news. I can be patient waiting for the Scottish book to be released…just knowing that Jo is working on it is enough for now.

Posted by Sheri on September 04, 2009, 10:03 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

awesome! this is such great news :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on September 04, 2009, 10:33 PM report to moderator
Hr_hbp_thumb

If this is true, it’s VERY exciting news! If this came out within a year or so after DH8, that would be great timing but I’m set for the long haul as well.

Posted by RHrSoulmates on September 04, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator

He caught sight of himself in the mirror over the basin... He raised his hand automatically and tried to make his hair lie flat.[br]"You're fighting a losing battle there, dear," said his mirror in a wheezy voice.