Rumor: Harry Potter Series to be Bundled with Sony's New E-Reader

Books
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 16, 2011, 03:09 PM

The Register is reporting that Sony has gained "early electronic rights" to the Harry Potter e-books and that Sony's next generation e-reader, expected to be released in November, will come bundled with the 7 Harry Potter books plus a letter from J.K. Rowling, subscription to Pottermore and a themed carry case.

Please note that at the moment this is still under the rumor category and has not been confirmed by Sony, a Pottermore sponsor, or J.K. Rowling.

The Harry Potter e-books are expected to be sold exclusively through Pottermore when the site opens to all.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Interesting rumor…I used to work for Sony, and have one of their old readers. It’s clumsy to use. I don’t know what kind of improvements they’ve made to their new reader. This may be good for them, as their reader was/is getting hammered by Amazon and Apple. I don’t know if I’d buy their reader because of this deal though..

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on August 16, 2011, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I have a kindle and they’re are very useful and save me a lot of money but I do prefer a physical book over a digital book.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 16, 2011, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Stmungosspew_thumb

i dont rele like kindles and nooks and ereaders and stuff cuz i prefer actually reading the physical book.. but they r great for traveling and stuff!!!

Posted by ahaque521 on August 16, 2011, 05:56 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

I have a Kindle but maybe….

Posted by Girlraven1 on August 16, 2011, 07:01 PM report to moderator
Imagescaf0zk2w_thumb

i just hope they put it on kobo because thats what i have

Posted by #1harrypotterfan{ROAR} on August 16, 2011, 07:17 PM report to moderator
N1081704126_19359_1414_thumb

I love the physical books as well, but the portability of seven books or just two while on vacation is not fun at all. I do however, keep all 7 audio books with me on my iPod. I cannot help it, you never know when some starts some canon talks!

Posted by Runwild101 (Robby) on August 16, 2011, 07:20 PM report to moderator

I love the e-readers if only we had them sooner. Paper books are horrible. With ebooks you don’t get wear and tear. So you will have to purchase a whole new harry potter book set in paper. Lower cost. By eliminating bookstores altogether and selling directly to the customer. Think also of all that paper that can be saved. I am glad and hope bookstores will eventually be a thing of the past.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 16, 2011, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Hp_pics____013_thumb

It’s cool…but NORMAL books are more me soo…..and ‘’posted by Stephanie’’ Nice name Stephanie! :)

Posted by StephPotter on August 17, 2011, 01:47 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Cool i have a Kindle and I don’t have to save up my money to buy a Sony e-reader now .

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on August 17, 2011, 03:16 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I prefer books, e-books are just so impersonal whereas books add to the experience.

Posted by mencia on August 17, 2011, 06:09 AM report to moderator

Ereaders are REAL they are made of materials found on the periodic table. They are also real in that you can personally hold it in you hand.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 17, 2011, 08:03 AM report to moderator

Also now you are just being silly. Now you are just arguing format as nothing is being taken away from the experience. I get the same experience that j.k. intended on paper as with the ereader. I still have my imagination.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 17, 2011, 08:08 AM report to moderator

It just comes down to opinion really.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 17, 2011, 08:10 AM report to moderator
Beach_thumb

I LOVE reading on my nook and although I read a lot before I got it it, I find I read even more now. I do like to have all of my favorite series in both DTB copies and ebooks. Something that is just not the same with the ebooks is being able to quickly look back to re-read a certian part or to scour through the digital pages to find a certian line I was looking for. Granted, there are search options, but it’s just not the same as thumbing through the pages of a real book. I like that Barnes & Noble will sometimes offer a bundle package where if you buy the real book, you get a “free” download of the ebook, sort of like how iTunes does with DVD’s.

DTB’s are going the same way of tangible photographs, love notes, and thank-you cards. It’s very disheartening. Yet, at the same time it is wonderful that as I type this I have a library of 500+ books sitting here in one small device next to me. There are pros & cons to both ways of reading. To feel superior or more intellectual because you choose one way over the other is just silly.

Whew… that was long-winded when all I really wanted to say is I wonder what the HP cover will look like and will I be able to get one for my nook? :)

Posted by StephieLB on August 17, 2011, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

I need printed word. in book form. I don’t want this to be the end of libraries and such. But a HP-themed case? Well, that might make me a bit more willing to try it…

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on August 17, 2011, 11:43 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"[Scabbers] bit Goyle for us once!" Ron said miserably. "Remember Harry?"[br]"Yeah, that's true," said Harry.[br]"His finest hour," said Fred, unable to keep a straight face. "Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory."