Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Images_thumb

On twitter are a lot of ppl excited for receiving their emails.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 11:39 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

The Insider hasn’t say anything about a new batch of mails… don’t you think there’s a slight possibility that people are twitting in a joke kind of way? My mail hasn’t come anyways… still waiting!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 29, 2011, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Halfblood Princess: I think it is unlikely to be a hoax. From what I can tell from the site it seems there are some day 2 accounts working there way through the early chapters.

Posted by roonwit on August 29, 2011, 12:44 PM report to moderator

I think they’d better send e-mail every day so that more people can get in before the post….but still no e-mail for me,I’m getting really impatient!

Posted by CatrinJane on August 29, 2011, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Leia_thumb

Roonwit: “there are some day 2 accounts working there way through the early chapters.”

But not mine! Again, the seeming randomness of the order is extremely frustating to all us early types who are watching our day 7 freinds discuss their PM adventures. sigh

Also, I HOPE that during their pause the PM folks give a good think to adding a “what house would you prefer” filter to avoid all the “mis-soting” tears and heartbreak.

Posted by Hagiographer13 on August 29, 2011, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Hagiographer13: There was some apparent randomness in the first couple of batches, but I think now they are going through in the order the accounts were verified so they are now doing early day two accounts, with a few day one accounts where verification was delayed.

Posted by roonwit on August 29, 2011, 02:14 PM report to moderator

There is no way that they should ever put “what house do you want” as a question…because the amount of people entering Gryffindor and/or Slytherin would skyrocket whilst Hufflepuff would get utterly screwed over.

What they DO need to do is make sure that if someone COULD be a member of two different houses (like Harry could have been Slytherin or Gryffindor) after the questions are answered a new page should come up with the two houses that they COULD be a part of and the person should get a choice of which they’d prefer (that way; no matter how much of a Gryffindor you THINK you are, if the quiz determines you’re really a Slytherin bordering on Ravenclaw you can get the choice to NOT be in Slytherin because that seems to be upsetting a lot of younger people who don’t want to be in the “evil” house…but it wouldn’t upset the balance of houses as much as just letting people choose)

Posted by yosafbridge on August 29, 2011, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@yosafbridge There is a question like that on the survey, as someone told on one of these articles once before. If you’re likely to get in 2 houses, they will ask you a question on which one you’d rather prefer, and that’s the deciding factor.

@Hagiographer Me neither… :C We’ll get ours soon, though, most likely before the pause if roonwit is correct about them going in order, since we’re the second earliest day.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 29, 2011, 02:36 PM report to moderator

@roonwit I really hope you’re right, because I’m a day 2er and did it like in the first minutes…(too bad there were no e-mails today….fingers crossed for tomorrow :P )

Posted by CatrinJane on August 29, 2011, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Seems there are now 108.885 on PM, considering what a spanish speaker just posted on Twitter.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 04:11 PM report to moderator

Seems a bunch of emails were sent today… at least from the flurry of people excitedly saying they just got in over on twitter. A lot of spanish, portuguese, and maybe italian?

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on August 29, 2011, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@ Rosmerta I’ve also spotted english/american speakers

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 04:24 PM report to moderator

@ cb160, yes, agreed. I’ve been wondering which side of the atlantic they might be at, just to see if this batch is going mostly to europe. Though I suppose the spanish & portuguese speakers could be from the Americas as well.

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on August 29, 2011, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Rosmerta At this time of theday, definitely. South America, I bet. But a time ago I saw also excited french messages.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 04:36 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

For everyone who found my original post “irritating” because I’m already in to Pottermore and therefore have no right to complain… geez, sorry. It’s not like I pulled special strings for my family or I to be in there before any of you, although we did all register on the first day, so if that was part of the process (which it doesn’t seem like it really was as lots of people beyond first-day registrants have also been in)… still, not under my control. I’m sorry you have to wait, but I don’t think that negates my right to voice an opinion on what I think of the site so far, or the Sorting.

When I said “not to worry too much” about giving feedback, I didn’t mean anything other than that I was disappointed to find that the feedback you’re allowed to give, in my opinion, isn’t much of anything to be excited about. If you desperately want to get in there and click the little “agree/disagree” buttons on each and every page and have that be it for your feedback, then more power to you. I was voicing an OPINION. Yes, it’s awesome to be in there now. I just thought there would be more of a genuine ability to have a real “say” in things on the site. It doesn’t feel like we’re having a voice in shaping it at all, and any changes likely to be made are more of the “fixing bugs” variety for things that didn’t work properly or consistently than making actual content or other changes. Clearly they can’t and don’t have time for a million people to post long thoughts on everything. I’m not sure what I was expecting, exactly, but it was more than an “agree/disagree” option.

As for the Sorting itself, yes we can all delete our beta accounts later and retry it if we want. And for everyone who is fine with whatever House they get, great. I’m happy for them. My son, who was so upset at originally being Sorted Slytherin, is now fine with it and busily earning points for his House. As long as he’s happy, I don’t care what House he’s in, but it was very upsetting to see him literally burst into tears over it when it first happened. I came on to post about that, and my own disappointment in not getting the House of my choice. So being told to basically shut up about it because “millions of people would would love to be in our places right now and wouldn’t care what House they got,” was, to say the least, offensive.

@cb160, to answer your question about the Sorting questions and answering them honestly: that doesn’t seem to have a whole lot to do with it, actually. My oldest daughter got a completely different set of questions than I did, which we both answered exactly the same (as I was watching her go through it all), and she got Gryffindor. So if I had gotten her questions, we’d both be in the same House. Instead, since I got different ones during my Sorting, I wound up in Ravenclaw. None of us ever saw an option to choose between two Houses. My middle daughter and my son got several questions in common, answered them differently, and BOTH wound up in Slytherin. As far as I can tell, there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to the way the Sorting goes, unless most of the questions are a smoke screen and your Sorting really comes down to just one or two key questions. Having watched/participated as all four of us were Sorted, and reading the questions/results a bunch of my friends have gotten, I honestly cannot figure it out.

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on August 29, 2011, 04:40 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014